Number 5 - Go to the movies alone





 'I’ve got a wonderful idea! 
Let’s spend the whole day doing things we’ve never done before!'
- Holly Golightly - Breakfast at Tiffany’s 

I spent my Sunday afternoon doing something I’ve never done before...I went to the movies alone! I know what some of you may be thinking, ‘how have you never been to the cinema on your own before?’

I guess for me a trip to the cinema has always been something you did as 'an outing'. I remember my first ever trip to the cinema when I was a little girl vividly. Mum and Dad asked my sister and I to get ready on an autumn Sunday evening saying we were going to visit our Grandma, but when we got in the car Dad drove past her house in a different direction into town to the old Odeon Cinema. We were so excited, surprised and so happy to find out that we were actually going to watch Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on the big screen for the first time, with tubs of popcorn and fizzy pop! 

Since then going to the cinema was always ‘a treat’, either as a family trip when I was younger, or for my birthday with friends in my teens. 

But as time has gone by, and as we’re now so fortunate to have so many other things we can do on those special occasions, going to cinema seems to have lost that sense of romanticism it once had.  

I've always associated a visit to the cinema as something you'd share with others, and so the thought of going on my own was always something I felt I could never do. That said, when you actually think about it, the cinema is probably the worst place you could go with others, I mean, you basically sit in the dark in silence whilst watching a film. You can't interact with one another and so actually it’s the perfect thing to do on your own! 

So for the first time in my 35 years I booked a ticket for one to watch a movie. And as going to the cinema still conjours up fond memories of special times, I chose to go somewhere special too. 



Iconic front facade of a 100 year old cinema

The Electric Cinema - Portobello Road Notting HillThe cinema opened in 1910, and was one of the first buildings in Britain to be designed specifically for motion picture exhibition. Designed by architect Gerald Seymour Valentin in the Edwardian Baroque Style. The interior still reflects the cinemas long history. I booked a seat in one of the plush red leather armchairs with a footstool and cute side table, complete with a cashmere blanket for added comfort. The cinema really is a special experience and i'd recommend it to anyone.








The cinema has 65 leather armchair seats and 6 beds at the front 



And what movie did I watch I hear you ask? Well, today really was a day of firsts, and a trip to London's iconic and classic cinema wouldn't be complete without a viewing of a much loved classic movie which I've never seen before!....Breakfast at Tiffany’s!  Audrey Hepburn stars in the story of a young woman in New York City searching for a rich husband, who meets and falls in love with a man who moves into her apartment building. 

The iconic glamour, scenes of New York city, and promises of a happy ever after love story = a perfect combo for a solo girly Sunday afternoon trip to the movies. 


And the best part of going to the movies on your own? I didn’t have to share my cheesy nachos or double chocolate Ice cream with anyone! 




Insta @35at35

Comments

Popular Posts