Number 10 - Book a table for one



In my 35 years I’ve never booked a table for one at dinner. Sure I’ve sat alone in a Starbucks or coffee shop to grab an Americano and a pan au chocolat, but I’ve never once booked a table in a restaurant to eat dinner alone. 

So on my trip to Italy this year, I was forced to do just that. My first day in Venice I arrived, dropped my bags and spent the day sightseeing. Come evening it dawned on me that I needed to go out for dinner.  Wandering the streets of Venice is my new favourite thing to do, the architecture, bridges and canals at night seem to come alive. I was so distracted by it all that I wasn’t concentrating on where to dine. 

I stumbled across a small Italian eatery called Bar Oasi, I stepped inside and for the first time asked the waiter, ‘A table for one please’. I have to admit, it felt really strange and for the first time that day I was overcome with a strange emotion, and realisation that I was alone. 

The waiters were lovely and very polite, I mean they must be used to it all the time I’m sure. I ordered a glass of the local white wine and ordered the seafood risotto, recommended to me by a local Italian girl I had met earlier that day. 


Diners from other tables were looking over once my food had arrived as they realised I was dining alone, and it was strange as this didn’t make me feel uncomfortable at all, it felt like they were looking in admiration as supposed to surprise or pity haha!

All in all my trip has continued with many more solo dining experiences, including at my favourite restaurant in Verona - Casa de Vino, where on my last night there I put my menu order in the hands of the waitress Giana who made an excellent choice of spaghetti a la seafood, which included octopus! 







I’ve never thought I’d be able to dine alone as I’ve grown up with it having always been a shared experience. But it’s ok, the wait staff are always super attentive, and you really do get to enjoy the food and surroundings uninterrupted. 

As my trip continues so will my solo dining experiences! 

Comments

Popular Posts