Number 12 - Spend the night in a treehouse



Since was about 10 years old I’ve always dreamt of sleeping in a treehouse. But we didn’t have one in our back garden and neither did any of my friends. And so over time I just became resigned to the fact that I’td never happen and as I got older i thought it was more something that you’d probably only be able to do as a kid and that I’d never get the chance now.

But thanks to Airbnb I was able to be a big kid and do just that. And not just any treehouse, no I was lucky enough to find a true gem. Tucked away in the Tuscan hills just outside of Florence is Casa Barthel. The home of Daniela and Eleanor who have an amazing peice of land that looks out into the Tuscan hills. 









The treehouse is located on the same grounds but tucked away towards the back so it feels super secluded and private, overlooking the rows and rows of olive trees.






I had a lot of luggage but Teresa the housekeeper helped me with all my bags up those narrow iron stairs leading up to the treehouse. 

Inside was an atmosphere of pure serenity and tranquility, the huge bed in the centre backed onto a wall made from chalkboard and which was adorned with messages from others who have stayed there too and added to the child like quality of the experience.





A small but perfectly equipped kitchen to the left and a cute little bathroom with an amazing rain shower to the right. But the most amazing part of the treehouse, was the 360 floor to ceiling windows allowing a perfect view out to the Tuscan hills and grounds of Casa Barthel. 







I did very little during my stay at the treehouse other than eat and drink and wine and take the time to switch off from the world and just enjoy the sights of Mother Nature. 





I stayed during Easter and as it was Easter Sunday, Daniela insisted that I dine with her that evening. And so we ate a simple dish of pasta with cheese and zucchini, cheese and a slice of the traditional Italian columbine cake for Easter. Whilst my Italian was terrible we still managed to talk about travelling, family and Daniela’s love of football and the premier league! 







It was then time to go off to bed. And I couldn’t help but keep the blinds open that little longer. With the dim balcony lights  of the trehouse illuminating the huge trunk of the tree and the full moon shining bright, it was a beautiful way to fall asleep. 



I was woken by the sunrise light seeping through the blinds the next morning and welcomed with breakfast delivered outside of fresh warm blueberry and chocolate croissants from the local bakery. 





I made a cup of espresso coffee in the traditional Italian coffee maker a Bialetti and enjoyed breakfast on the treehouse balcony in the morning sunshine. 

The perfect and surreal experience I felt like I was in a movie. 






Comments

Popular Posts