Number 18 - Visit the state rooms of Buckingham Palace




London in the summer when the sun is shining is the best city to visit. Thousands of tourists visit each year to take in the many sights steeped with the history and culture. 


I’ve lived in London for almost 4 years now and still haven’t done most of the tourist attractions that most will do in one weekend. And whilst I may have visited the attractions on offer in countries far and wide across the world from Europe to America, I’ve still not explored all the wonders that the great city of London has to offer.


Each year whilst her majesty The Queen is enjoying her summer break away in Sandringham, the doors of Buckingham Palace are opened to the public for limited few weeks. So I booked myself a ticket and got involved with all the hype and tourist madness today. 





It was crazy, people from all around the world so excited to have the opportunity to step inside the infamous palace and current residence of the Queen of England. 


I’ve watched many state occasions on TV from my sofa of the British Royal Family celebrating weddings and milestone anniversary’s and always wondered what it would be like to see the inside. 


The tour of the state rooms is just as you’d expect, and as I walked down the golden grand staircase I definitely had my Disney princess moment. 





Lavish chandeliers made of individually cut glass droplets dating back to the 19th century are suspended from the ceilings, whilst traditional red and gold decor and paintings of the British Royal Famiky adorns the walls. 




There is certainly a sense of grandeur and tradition throughout, and you can just picture the soirĂ©e that take place in the ballroom, the feasts in the great dining rooms, to the intimacy of the christenings of Princes Charles and William in the music room. 




The visit also included a walk in the palace gardens and wouldn’t have been complete without enjoying and cup of tea, scones and sweet treats in the palace gardens. 













And I even came home with my very own Buckingham Palace strawberry shortbread. 


It’s great to be able to visit and explore the great sights and cities of our world. Seeing so many tourists who must have travelled miles to share the same experience I did today made me realise how lucky am I that I live right here! 






And made me realise not to forget and appreciate some of the equally amazing experiences right on your own doorstep. 





Comments

Popular Posts