Number 23 - Climb a mountain



So those of you who know me will know that I’m not the most fittest person. I’m not a gym bunny but do love a Zumba class or a swim. So I’m not the kind of person you would think would actually opt in to climb a mountain!


But this time last year a group of us who work together decided to climb mount Snowdon to raise money for the mountain rescue charity.


I was sooooo NOT interested in the challenge, Me?...Climb a mountain? Are you kidding?


But my work pals Sam and Victoria would not let it go. ‘It’s the year of 35! You have to do it with us! You can’t say no, what happened to challenging yourself?’ These along with words of encouragement that I can do it and that they’d be by my side every step of the way, meant I had to say YES! 


We backed into cars and drove to Snowdon and stayed in the most unusual house. After a night sleeping on the most uncomfortable bunk beds, we packed our backpacks put on our hiking boots and were on our way. 


As we started the climb the first 10-15 mins were possibly the worst! The steep incline was just so hard, at this moment I thought, no I can’t do this and became aware of just how unfit I was. Others in the group had been training for weeks before, whilst I’d done nothing! How foolish could I be? To not prepare myself.




But just as promised, Sam and Vic didn’t leave my side and we continued on. Taking regular stops to take in the nature views and trying to get the perfect insta snaps and taking a swig of our brandy filled flask as it started to get cold. 




Looking over the mountain into the distance was just beautiful, taking time out from the city and spending time surrounded only by nature felt amazing.





After a couple of hours, we made it to the top! So freezing cold but we made it. Everyone in our group walked at different paces, some made it quicker than others, and some really struggled with the physical challenge. 





This made me realise that although we all have a different level of physical fitness we all had one thing in common, our determination to succeed and make it to the top. And with the right people around you to encourage, motivate and reassure you that although it may be hard you can do it, you actually can do it! 




Also that feeling of having made it to the top despite wanting to give up at the first 10 minutes was the best feeling! At the end of the day if it wasn’t a challenge it wouldn’t have been so worth it!   








Whenever I think or say to myself, why is it so hard, why can’t life be easy, I’m reminded that I’ve got amazing people around me to support me whilst I’m just climbing that daily mountain of life and whatever is waiting for me at the top is truly going to be truly amazing!!! 





Comments

Popular Posts