Number 29 - Climb the leaning tower of Pisa



During my trip travelling around Italy there was certainly one iconic plane I just had to visit. The leaning tower of Pisa


Built in over 199 years, construction of the bell tower of the Cathedral of Pisa began in the early 12 century and began to tilt as the ground it was built on was too soft to properly support its weight. 




In 1990 the tower leaned at an angle of 5.5 degrees and was deemed unsafe and closed to visitors between 1993 and 2003 whilst construction work was completed in an attempt to stabilise the structure. I was devastated as I’d always had this on my list since I was younger. 


So when I’d heard the tower had re-opened I had to go visit before it was too late! 




As I stood in front of the tower which stands tall at a height of 56.6 metres from ground level and a weight estimated at 14,500 metric tons, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach as I was about to conquer the 8 floors and 296 steps to the top. After seeing so many pictures of it, it almost didn’t feel like it was real. 

 






By this point during my trip I’d already climbed a few bell towers in Italy, but this one was extra special. You could definitely feel the lean as you climbed up the large marble steps and as I reached the top I didn’t know if the feeling of dizziness was excitement and adrenaline or because of the tilt.








The view from the top whilst standing under the large bells was amazing looking out to the cathedral and Baptistry. There’s something amazing about being at a great height and watching the world go by below, and people trying to get their infamous shot pretending to push the tower.




There was something endearing about the fact that the tower isn’t a perfectly solid structure standing tall and straight. And it’s imperfection is what makes it so unique and beautiful and the reasons why thousands of visitors flock to Pisa each year. 


Sometimes it’s ok to embrace your imperfections as this is what makes you stand out from the crowd. 

Comments

Popular Posts