Number 31 - Surprise Someone



One of the best feelings in the world is to do something for someone that they would least expect, takes them by surprise and makes them smile with joy.


Earlier this year I’d made a commitment to pratice gratitude for the things I have in my life.


And so what better way than to show my gratitude and thankfulness, than to surprise the most important and amazing woman in my life. My Mum. 


This year marked my mums 60th birthday and she never ‘wants a fuss’, but we couldn’t let the day go by without marking this milestone. 


Knowing that Mum isn’t a huge fan of big gestures, I’d decided to host a small, intimate afternoon tea party at my flat with my parents, sister and her family. 




I spent the day making homemade finger sandwiches and cakes and my sister and her boys helped with blowing up the balloons and putting up decorations. 


My parents arrived at the flat and everyone yelled ‘surprise!’ The look on Mums face was priceless. We popped the champagne and ate lots of cake. It was intimate and small, but absolutely perfect. 




As I stood in the kitchen of my small flat I looked over to see all of the most important people in my life together laughing and having a great time. 


And in that moment I was overcome with the most gratitude I could have ever known, I realised I was the luckiest and wealthiest person in the world, to have my own home and a life filled with the most beautiful and amazing family I could have ever wished for. 


Thank you Mum for everything you went through to bring me into this world. Love you always. 

Comments

Popular Posts