Number 39 - Learn to ride a bike




Yes, it’s true, I’m in my thirties and I still don’t know how to ride a bike.


When I was younger I had a blue bike with stabilisers and was happy riding around the park with my sister. 


One day, my Dad took the stabilisers off and began to teach me how to ride a two wheeler. As Dad let go of his grip on the saddle I lost my balance and veered to the right and straight into a row of trees, emerging with cuts and bruises all over my face. After that day I was too scared to get back onto a bike in the fear I would fall again. 


Until this weekend. I’ve always looked on at others riding a bike and always felt foolish for not having this basic skill...I could never relate to the phrase ‘it’s as easy as riding a bike’. 


A friend of mine said he’d help teach me how to ride a bike and so I met Sorin and his girlfriend Ro at the Elizabeth Olympic Park in London. We rented a Santander Cycle and made a start. Ro held the back of my saddle whilst I got the feel of the bike and tried to get my balance. 



At first I just couldn’t get the hang of it, I kept veering to one side and losing my balance, jumping off the bike in fear of falling or hitting into people and at one point even crashing into side railing!


But Ro and Sorin would not let me quit...with their continued words of encouragement ‘come on you’ve got this’. And everytime I came off, they’d tell me to  ‘get back on the bike’. Then the moment I gained a little momentum they’d shout with joy ‘just keep peddling’, and I did just that and eventually I DID IT! I rode a bike!  


It’s never never to late to learn a new skill, and in life don’t let the fear of falling hold you back, because of you do just know that all you have to do is get back up and keep on trying. And having your own little cheer squad by your side who believe in you, is all you need. 

Comments

Popular Posts