Number 44 - Visit Machu Picchu



It’s been on my list for what feels like forever the majestic, mysterious, magnificent and mind-blowing Machu Picchu! 

In 2007 it was voted one of the new 7 wonders of the world and what’s so enchanting about it is that no one really knows what happened here. 

How was this lost ancient city of the Incas built in the midst of the mountains, how long had it been there? How long has it been deserted. There are many theories from royal retreat and temple of virgins though to alien landing pad. 

We arrived at sunrise the morning clouds and midst slowing clearing away to reveal the marvel right in front of us...as the sun shone onto the city it took my breath away. So peaceful and serene. 

But that was all about to change as we embarked on our climb up Machu Picchu mountain. It was mid 30 degrees and towards the end of our trip in Peru. I’d already trekked through the Amazon rainforest, slept in sub zero temperatures and hiked rainbow mountain.

As we started the climb of around 3,000 steep rock steps in the heat, I couldn’t do it. My mind and body was exhausted. I stopped and gave up. I couldn’t do it. I cried. 



And then I heard the voices of my fellow flash packers, ‘just do as much as you can, we’ve done so much already, you got this, you can do it. At least try!’



So I literally forced myself, I had to stop a lot, and didn’t want to hold the group back, decided I needed to take it at my own pace and not try and keep up with everyone else. And that’s what I did. 




I couldn’t control my breathing, altitude was kicking in again. And I had to stop every 10 steps. An hour in I didn’t know how far I’d come or how far I had left but I felt like I was done, I wanted to turn back. 


And then my friend @lukemoney turned back and said....we’ve come this far however far it is, it’s Machu Picchu it’s a once in a lifetime, you cannot turn back. 

And he was so right! And so I continued and made it to the top. As soon as I got there everyone cheered! And waited for us all to make so we could get our group photo! 










The views from the top are always worth it and this mountain was no difference. This was the hardest climb to date but each time I’ve done it, it always feels so tough to start, but the feeling when it’s done! Is the best! 


The ascent down was just as tough but knowing what I’d just achieved the adrenaline had definitely kicked in. And then as we arrived back to Machu Picchu, it was completely different scenes. Thousands of tourists had decended to the site, it was like a zoo! Don’t be deceived by what you see online this place gets so busy!  

Comments

Popular Posts