Number 4 - Start Baking


For a while now I've wanted to spend more time in the kitchen. Work and general 'life' has meant that more often than not I end up making dinner in 10 mins with whatever ingredients I have and when I get a chance. 

One thing I've wanted to start doing is baking! Now I'm no Mary Berry, but I watch cooking programmes every Saturday morning and always think, oh I wish I had time to bake! So earlier this week I lost my voice :( and have been on official vocal rest all weekend, and with no plans and most life admin out of the way, what better time than to make a start baking! 

I opted to start small by baking vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting. Here's the recipie for anyone interested in making it.

Vanilla Cupcakes, with buttercream frosting
Ingredients
·        175g butter (at room temperature), cut into large pieces
·        175 g self-raising flour
·        175 g caster sugar
·        1/2 tsp baking powder
·        1/2 tsp vanilla extract
·        3 large eggs
·        FOR THE ICING:
·        175 g butter, room temperature
·        1/2 tsp vanilla extract
·        2-3 tbsp milk
·        350 g icing sugar, sifted
         pink edible colouring

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake or muffin cases.
  2. Put all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and evenly mixed. Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases.
  3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and firm on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  4. Meanwhile, make the buttercream icing. Put the butter, two tablespoons of the milk, and half the icing sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining icing sugar, and pour in the rest of the milk if needed to make the icing the right consistency.
  5. Put half of the icing into another bowl and colour it pale pink with the edible colouring. Carefully spoon into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Twist the end of the bag to seal the icing in.
  6. Pipe stars of the icing on top of each cupcake. 


To think these simple ingredients turned from this......to these! :)


I've never realised just how therapeutic baking is. It's quite calming and meditative. My whole attention was on the task, from measuring out the ingredients, to beating the mixtures, and ensuring each cupcake case had an even mixture, and then to the precision of icing them...it takes a lot of concentration!. But more importantly, I felt quite relaxed, my mind wasn't wandering to thinking about other things, I was focused completely. 




Also recently I've neglected my creative side and think I've certainly found a new creative outlet, (with the added benefit of yummyness!) up next will be bread, cakes, cookies and more! 

I'm super pleased with the outcome for my first attempt. I mean they look great, (even if I do say so myself), but I've no idea how they taste! The guys at work are in for a Monday morning treat! 

I'm no star baker!, and won't be featuring on The Great British Bake Off any time soon, but I would definitely recommend baking to anyone, I actually feel like I accomplished something today!



Insta @35at35

Comments

Popular Posts